Tuesday, February 27

Rwanda No Longer Wants to Receive Congolese Refugees

Rwanda wants to end the reception of Congolese refugees trying to escape the ongoing violence in the east of their country. Rwandan President Paul Kagame announced this on Monday.

Tensions between Kigali and Kinshasa have been on the rise recently.

Fighting is raging in eastern Congo between government troops and members of the M23 rebel group. That combat group, mostly Tutsi, took up arms again at the end of last year and, in recent months, has succeeded in conquering large parts of the Congolese province of North Kivu, on the border with Rwanda. Congo accuses Rwanda of supporting M23, but Kigali denies this.

Due to the violence, many Congolese are moving abroad, including neighbouring Rwanda. According to figures from the UNHCR, the refugee organization of the United Nations, Rwanda received a total of about 72,000 Congolese refugees in November.

“We can no longer host these refugees,” Kagame said. “It is not Rwanda’s problem, and we will do everything we can to ensure everyone realizes this. However, I refuse to let Rwanda bear this burden,” said Kagame.

Leave a Reply